R edman-Schwartz Funeral Home is family owned and operated by Allen and Rachael Redman. They purchased the business in 2001 from Rachael’s father, Dick Schwartz, the same year his wife, Linda passed away. They own funeral homes in Aplington, Clarksville and Parkersburg. Aplington and Parkersburg funeral homes had the same prior owners. Dick and Linda Schwartz purchased them in 1975 from John and Betty Engelkes. They built the new Chapel a year later in Aplington in 1976. Prior to its construction the house south of the Chapel, was the location where they held visitations. Mr. & Mrs. Engelkes purchased the business in approximately 1950 from Jim G. Houts. Mr. Houts began his funeral business downtown Parkersburg where the current pharmacy is now located. In 1941 when the war broke out, that is when he purchased the present home on 2nd Street in Parkersburg and relocated his business. Bob Lohr began working as a licensed Funeral Director for Mr. Houts after the war and retired a few years ago but is still associated with Redman-Schwartz Funeral Home. Lawrence Dryer formerly of Aplington, began working with Mr. Houts as the Aplington funeral home representative. He also remained working with the business until his retirement while Dick Schwartz owned the business. Allen and Rachael hired a full time funeral director, Travis Bouska in January 2008.